Friday, April 24, 2009

Competent Psychology

In my one and only semester of Psychology Grad School, the term competent was used widely. Our professors would talk a lot about being competent psychologist, competent in course work, competent in our State Exams, our PPL, EEPS, and State Licensing, etc., etc. All these exams and presentations and I always felt discouraged by that, and I confronted myself and my issue with my professors, and they said, you will do and you will learn, you won't even realize the automatic process. I never felt competent.
I am sitting down reflecting on that and doing some research on that.
Accodring to Webster Dictionary the meaning of competent is having suitable or sufficient skill, knowledge, experience, etc., for some purpose; properly qualifie.
It is an adjective and the synonyms for competent are
adapted, adequate, all around, appropriate, au fait, being a pistol, capable, clever, complete, crisp, decent, dynamite, efficient, endowed, enough, equal, fireball, fit, fool, good, know ins and outs, know one's business, know one's stuff, know the answers, know the ropes, know the score, no slouch, on the ball*, paid one's dues, pertinent, polished, proficient, qualified, satisfactory, savvy, skilled, sufficient, suitable, there, up to it, up to snuff, up to speed.
Some of these are ok, I wasn't expereinced enough in psychology, it would happen through school, I wasn't efficent, I wasn't skilled, etc. etc. and yeah I would learned all this throughout my schooling and learning.
I had a terrible incident happen in my 1st semester of grad school in psychology, but ever since beggining I couldn't just connect myself with psychology. I have always had a passion for it, since 10th grade, and I love it, and truly aspire psychologist, but for some reason, once I entered that program, I couldn't connect with it. I have always been very caring of people who have been hurt or with mental issues/concerns, and I still am, but I couldn't get my mind or my heart on that emotional/mental level to be a psychologist. I still love psychology, have a passion about it, love to learn it and apply it, but don't think its mentally healthy for me to be a psychologist.
I have changed so much in the past year that I run away further and further from emotional thins and have turned into a logical/business like mind whether it comes to relationships, school, work, activites, etc. I don't like to think about how I feel or what my heart is going through, I just want to mentally, logically, and stratigically think and just deal with things. I love people (friends, family, etc.) but I know that in my mind, not in my heart. It's like my heart is just numb and not functioning and I am quiet happy with this.
I am doing a M.F.A. in Graphic Design now, and I feel some what competent due to some past internships, experiences, classes, etc. and I am here with an open mind that I have a lot of learn in this Masters. I do feel a competent, but I am sure that I am goign to be very competent within 6 months to a year with a lot to learn. I am happy and like the fact that so much emotional turmoil doesn't go into it.
Honey

No comments:

Post a Comment