Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Mind Body Ulcers

Your body responds to the way you think, feel and act. This is often called the “mind/body connection.” When you are stressed, anxious or upset, your body tries to tell you that something isn’t right. For example, high blood pressure or a stomach ulcer might develop after a particularly stressful event, such as the death of a loved one. The following may be physical signs that your emotional health is out of balance:
  • Back pain
  • Change in appetite
  • Chest pain
  • Constipation or diarrhea
  • Dry mouth
  • Extreme tiredness
  • General aches and pains
  • Headaches
  • High blood pressure
  • Insomnia (trouble sleeping)
  • Lightheadedness
  • Palpitations (the feeling that your heart is racing)
  • Sexual problems
  • Shortness of breath
  • Stiff neck
  • Sweating
  • Upset stomach
  • Weight gain or loss
Poor emotional health can weaken your body's immune system, making you more likely to get colds and other infections during emotionally difficult times. Also, when you are feeling stressed, anxious or upset, you may not take care of your health as well as you should. You may not feel like exercising, eating nutritious foods or taking medicine that your doctor prescribes.

I developed a very bad ulcers since November/December which is getting worse day be day, and I can't seem to defeat the pain mentally. I have always been strong, and have dealt with stress and emotional crisis well. Crying it out, being optimistic, writing things down to get it out of my heart and to organize my thought process. Dancing. Diving myself in school work, volunteer work, job, working out, etc. But now my pain has took over all of this. It dictates my life and has made me so weak. The more I try to reach surface level, the more I am drowned at the bottom of the sea. I have never at any part of my life, or specific emotional crisis have had someone fully support me, understand me or guide me through it. I have developed a strength to deal with everything on my own. In stress, mental or emotional crisis, people without knowing would make things worse for me, and that sometimes just made me stronger and stronger, mentally and emotionally. In my physical pain, thats not the case. People actually know I am suffering from pain, ulcers, stress causes more pain, etc and instead of being supportive, which I am not even asking for, I would rather be left alone, they are making it worse. The biggest difference is that before with so much opposite force I was able to get my self emotionally together, but that doesn't work for my stomach pain. I get worse and weaker and things get more painful. And its emotional things that makes my pain worse and I am not able to deal with the emotions or the physical stomach pain.
A part of me says if I would have dealt with everything and not bury it before, my health condition wouldn't be so bad.
Another part of me says, if I had the right people in my life, I wouldn't be in this condition, but I hate blaming anyone, even if it is their fault.
I had a discussion with my psychologist/professor and she said,
People deal with things, emotions, problems, pain, and all the other human emotions, and they release things out of their body, some in healthy ways (jogging, talking about it with good support system) and some in not so healthy ways (alcohol, sex, drugs) and some just don't do anything to it and bury it, but they don't realize they bury it in their body, not outside of their body, so in some way, shape or form they body has to find a way to release it, and it does that through serious diseases, and health problems.
I have to emotionally be happy! I don't care about the past, nor do I want to think or live in the past. I just want to be happy now, deal with whatever I am given, part by myself, part by others and move on to a better future.

No comments:

Post a Comment